HISTORY OF THE FIRM
Our Firm is proud to have served the Simcoe and Georgian Bay areas from our offices in Midland and Penetanguishene for over 100 years.
Our Firm's roots reach back to the turn of the century when Bill Hewson Sr. founded the Penetanguishene branch. Bill Hewson Jr., Q.C. joined his father in practice after the First World War, and assumed full responsibility in 1924.
In 1967 Fred E. Horton, Q.C. assumed responsibility for the Hewson practice in Penetanguishene. Mr. Horton had been practising law in Midland in association with Edward Kendall since 1959, and in 1963 had set up his practice, founding the Midland branch of our Firm. Mr. Horton continued as a sole practitioner under the Firm name of Horton & Hewson.
Bob MacKinnon joined Fred Horton in practice in 1973 under the Firm name of Horton, Hewson & MacKinnon. That same year Paul DeVillers set up his Penetanguishene practice. In 1974 Mr. Horton retired from active practice, and Paul DeVillers and Bob MacKinnon formed a partnership under the name MacKinnon, DeVillers & Horton.
Paul DeVillers continued with the Firm as an associate until 1991 and then stood as our Federal Member of Parliament until retiring at the end of 2005. In 1993, Bob MacKinnon was appointed a Justice of the Ontario Court (General Division).
Peter Deacon articled with our Firm in 1977 and became an associate lawyer in 1978. In 1982 he became a partner under the Firm name MacKinnon, DeVillers & Deacon.
Drummond Peet joined our Firm as a partner in 1982, and the Firm became known as MacKinnon, DeVillers, Peet & Deacon.
William P. Taws set up his own law practice in 1982 and operated until 1989 as a sole practitioner. He became successor to the files of Edward Kendall in 1986. In 1989 he joined the Firm on Drummond Peet's retirement and the Firm name became MacKinnon, DeVillers, Deacon & Taws.
John F.L. Rose joined the Firm in 1995 and was an associate lawyer from 1996 until 2003.
In the fall of 2002, the Firm consolidated its Midland and Penetanguishene practices in its Midland offices on Elizabeth Street.
The Firm is presently known by its partners, Deacon Taws.
Mailing and Faxing
476 Elizabeth Street
Midland, ONTARIO, L4R 1Z8
Tel:(705) 526-3791, Fax:(705) 526-2688
Please email us at Admin@deacontaws.com if we can be of any assistance.